Clery Act Crime Notification

According to federal law, specifically The Clery Act, the university is required to report statistics concerning the occurrence of the following criminal offenses reported to the local police agency or any official of the institution who has significant responsibility for student and campus activities. The requirement to report these crimes applies to offenses involving students, faculty, staff or visitors.

The criminal offenses that we are required to report are murder/non-negligent manslaughter, negligent manslaughter, sex offenses (forcible and non-forcible), robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, motor vehicle theft, arson, domestic violence, dating violence and stalking, liquor law violations, drug violations, and/or illegal weapons possession.

We are required to report offenses that

  • Occur on campus,
  • In university residence facilities,
  • In fraternity and sorority houses,
  • In KU owned, controlled, or leased property,
  • On streets and sidewalks bordering campus, and/or
  • At University sponsored activities or events.

The Crime Statistics Report Form can be found on the Student Affairs website and should be used to report the incidents described above. University personnel who have significant responsibility for student and campus activities are asked to report crime to the Office of the Vice Provost for Student Affairs and/or the KU Office of Public Safety. At a minimum the following persons must report:

  • Supervisors
  • Resident Assistants
  • Judicial Officers
  • Deans
  • Directors of student activities or programs
  • Director of athletics
  • Team coaches
  • Organization advisors

If you have any questions about this request, or would like to discuss the specifics of an incident, please contact the Office of Student Affairs at 785-864-4060. Thank you for your assistance in complying with this federal law. If you would like to know more about KU's compliance with the law, please visit the Public Safety Office website.